With its main hub in Dallas, Texas, we all know that Southwest Airlines has time to time proven itself as one of the most reliable U.S. airlines. The company has achieved this status with its efficient operations and innovative plans. One major focus of the airline is customer satisfaction at affordable pricing. Some may also wonder if they can get a refund. We are here to explain everything about Southwest Airlines refunds in case Southwest Airlines cancels the flight or you fail to board.
Table of Contents
What is Southwest Airlines Refunds Policy?
One must know that not all flight reservations are refundable at Southwest. Southwest Airlines refunds department states that only Anytime fares and Business select fairs are eligible for refunds. Southwest’s Wanna Get Away fares are only reusable. This means instead of a refund, you’ll get travel credit that can be used for future flights.
You’ll get the travel credit for future use (up to a year) only if you cancel your flight reservation at least 10 min. before the scheduled departure.
Southwest Airlines No Show Policy
Since Wanna Get Away fares are only reusable it’s important to understand the “No Show policy”. As we said, if you no longer want to travel on any scheduled part of your journey, you must cancel the reservation at least 10 min. before the scheduled departure of that flight.
However, if you fail to cancel the flight booking of Wanna Get Away fare before 10 minutes and do not board the flight then you’ll be considered a “no show” passenger. This simply means that under the No Show policy, your unused Wanna Get Away credit will be lost.
- If you possess any unused Anytime and Business Select funds, then they will be converted into reusable travel balances that can only be used by the passenger mentioned in the original ticket.
- Customers who become “No Show” for their “Reward Travel Reservation” will automatically receive travel funds to their Rapid Rewards account.
Southwest Cancellation Policy 24 Hours
If you don’t make any changes to the original booking, you can cancel the reservation of Anytime and Business Select fares within 24 hours and choose to get a refund or convert the amount into Airline Travel Funds for a future flight.
Southwest Airlines Refunds Eligibility
If you fail to attend a Southwest flight, your refund will rely on the type of fare you signed up for.
In simple words, you may get a full refund only for Business Select and Anytime fares. But not for Wanna Get Away flights. Also, refunds are only allowed if you manage to cancel the reservation of your flight ten minutes prior to its departure. You may either opt for a refund to your original form of tender or Airline Travel Credit for a future Southwest flight.
How to Get Southwest Airlines Refunds?
As we all know flight cancelations and rescheduling are very common due to various issues. Sometimes, we may also have a change of travel plans. That’s why it’s important to know how to cancel your reservation and get a refund. There are three options available.
1. Put a Refund Request on the Website
If you cancel your Business Select or Anytime flight reservation 10 minutes before the flight departure time, then here’s how you can get a full refund of your money.
- Click on the Cancel Flight button on the website’s home page or navigate to Look up reservation” in the Southwest app.
- Provide your Confirmation No., and name.
- Any travel funds or refundable balances associated with that confirmation no. should appear.
- If you see a refundable amount then you can choose to get that money back to your original form of tender or turn that amount into Travel Funds for future use.
- For credit card payments, it may take up to 2 billing cycles for the refund to appear in the account statement.
- If you select Travel Funds then it’ll appear immediately in your account.
- In case you paid via Rapid Rewards while booking, your Southwest account will automatically receive Travel Funds.
If you canceled the booking of a refundable fare and it is converted into Southwest Travel Funds then you may convert them into a refund by either calling their customer care or by writing a letter to the refunds department.
2. Call their Customer Support
Simply ring Southwest Airlines customer care at 1-800-435-9792 and tell them you want a refund. You may need your ticket number, confirmation number, and flight details such as date and destination. So have those at hand.
3. Send a Written Letter
You may also request Southwest Airlines refunds by writing a letter to their refund department at the following address.
P.O. Box 36649
Dallas, Texas 75235-1649
How Long Do Southwest Airlines Refunds Take?
As per the Southwest refunds department, refunds are processed within 7 days from the date you put out the refunds request. The amount will be refunded to your original payment method. Once they initiate your refund, it may take anywhere around 10 days for the amount to appear in your account.
Anyone who uses Southwest Airlines often should remember that Southwest Airlines refunds rely completely on the type of fair you are using. Business Select and Anytime fairs can get a full refund if you cancel the booking 10 minutes before the scheduled departure. Wanna Get Away Fares can only be reused for up to 12 months if you fail to board the flight.